Greetings to all,

With the recent dialog about the cross-contamination and lead-free
reliability concerns, copper solubility concerns, the introduction of
application specific reliability (which has been slowly becoming an accepted
approach), the 1/2 dozen or so different finishes and dozen or so different
lead-free solders, the number of potential combinations and variations to
keep track of becomes mind numbing.

It does not seem possible, from my simple point of view, to go from specific
to general or to make sweeping statements about the reliability of lead-free
based on the relatively few combinations that have been tested. As has been
noted many times we have fifty years of experience with traditional solders.
It seems a waste to toss that experience out the window based on all that we
have yet to know about lead-free.

The IPC board of directors has a position statement on this subject. Aside
from an inconsistency in the amount of lead used annually in electronic
assembly (the IPC BOD statement says less than 2% while the generally
accepted number based on multiple industry analytical reports is ~0.5%,
however I trust that their webmaster will get around to correcting it at some
point), it is an important document to read relative to the recent
discussions.

For example, the IPC Board of Directors have noted in their lead-free
position statement:

"These new technologies should provide product integrity, performance and
reliability equivalent to lead-containing products without introducing new
environmental risks or health hazards"

This statement is clear and unequivocal in its intent... Equal reliability
with no greater environmental impact.

Unfortunately this objective will likely never be met in total as the total
energy requirements for most lead-free candidates are much higher than
traditional solders. Moreover, with the myriad of potential lead-free
permutations based on finish and solder, the real reliability of each
combination may only come slowly to light passed on only by anecdotal
information from field failures and product returns.

The IPC position also states:

"... all available scientific evidence and US government reports indicate
that the lead used in US printed wiring board (PWB) manufacturing and
electronic assembly produces no significant environmental or health hazards."

Still no data has been presented to provided evidence to the contrary which
continues to beg for an answer to the question. "Why must traditional solders
be eliminated?"

The IPC BOD statement finishes with:

"IPC prefers global rather than regional solutions to this issue, and is
encouraging a coordinated approach to the voluntary reduction or elimination
of lead by the electronic interconnection industry."

Again clear intent that this effort is to be voluntary and more importantly
that reduction is considered equivalent to elimination. This is a wise
approach in that it allows for the individual to make the choice.

At this point I would note that the electronics industry has continued to
reduce the amount of lead in its many products over the years simply by
making its products smaller but we have not given ourselves credit for that.

While the scientific and engineering prowess of those who are struggling to
make lead-free work is truly admirable, it is looking like it may take
another generation or so to fully sort through all of the options. Still, I
do take heart in believing that there will be new solders available now to
solve problems for specific applications. I have had a number of ideas
wherein lead-free solders will play a potential role.

There are also, however other matters that need to be considered.

On the economic side there is also the matter of intellectual property which
will demand a rightful premium in exchange for the research performed this is
a rent or royalty that must be paid over the 17-20 year life of the patent
unless all the more that 400 US and international patents with reference to
lead-free solder (so far) will be pooled and given freely to industry and I
don't see this as likely. In contrast, Pb37Sn63, has no patents.

Finally, if there is to be recycling, as has been suggested as the next step,
the whole matter of lead in solder is moot and moreover it is logically much
easier to recycle a simple binary alloy than a multi-element alloy.

It seems, to me at least, that we need to make certain that we think beyond
the horizon if we are going to get this thing right. Passage of a law does
not make the law or its intention right. Kowtowing to a bad law does not make
the law right either. Some backbone and action may be required to make it
right, however. Governments who ignore the council of their own scientists in
passing emotionally based legislation should be challenged and held
accountable for their decisions.

Traditional solder, it seems, got swept in with some very risky and hazardous
elements. It makes the line "Round up the usual suspects" spoken by Captain
Louis Renaud, the Vichy French police chief at the end of the film
"Casablanca" come to mind. However here it is like a graffiti artist suddenly
becomes an equal in criminality with a rapist or murderer and is meted out a
similar measure of punishment. (Recall again that that there is no evidence
to support the indictment of traditional solders used in electronic products
of harm to humans) Is this right or just?

As has been suggested several times here, write to your elected
representatives and make them aware. Invest in a sheet of paper, an envelope
and a stamp when doing so. The weight of the physical letter is small in
grams but immense in political terms. Follow up with the e-mail if you wish
but send the letter.

With hope for a more rational future and with kind regards to all,
Joe