From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Gregory
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 3:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Dross particles sticking to soldermask...

Mike,

I appreciate your help on this, my answers to your questions are below in parentheses...

Steve: We also run an Electrovert Electra. We use Alpha's 871-25 OA flux,
similar to your 2331 which we have also used, applied by foam fluxing.
Looking at your photos it's hard to tell but the "Dross Particles" appear
more like solder webbing than dross and the "More Dross" does look like
dross. I'm discounting a problem with the soldermask cure or board design because
you say it's happening with all your boards. However you may want to verify soldermask cure as a sanity check.

(you're right Mike, I did think about it at first, but I know that's not the issue)

1. My first guess is that you are drying out the flux on the board. The flux
no longer can act as a lubricant/thermal insulator and the solder and dross
stick to the board surface. Obviously insufficient flux deposition, excessive preheat, slow conveyor speed can all contribute. Is it re-occurring in a given band or area where there may be lack of flux or a hot spot in the preheaters?

(The flux does kinda' look dry, so I've lowered the preheat, and I still am seeing the dross. It's random too, not in the same place on the boards. I'm getting good coverage, I see flux coming up on the topside around the fillets for the PTH stuff)

If item 1 is not the case consider the following:

2. Are you running the chipwave? This can be a large generator of dross. We
clean both the chip and Lambda wave pots of dross every two hours.

(Yes I am, got SMT on the bottomside...and we see the problem even when we start off with a clean pot)

3. Is the overflow on the Lambda wave set correctly? If not you will not get
the proper overflow and dross will build in the wave.

(We're not seeing that at all, the lambda is not sitting static by any means)

4. How often do you remove and clean the chipwave and Lambda nozzles? We
remove and clean every 80 hrs of operation. These have a tendency to build
up dross which comes up thru the wave.

(We are doing that, because it so simple to take out....)

5. How often do you teardown the entire solderpot and pull everything out
for a complete cleaning? We do a complete teardown every 1000 hrs. You would
be amazed at how much dross and residue is built up inside the pot and it's
internal components.

(We've only had the machine a month now, so we haven't run it that much yet)

Mike, would you mind sharing what your typical belt speed, preheat settings, and pump RPM setting are?

One other question, this machine was set up with CoN2tour wave, but we're not using nitrogen, we're not using compressed air either. Do you think that may have something to do with things? The Lambda wave doesn't have a smooth appearance except at very low RPM's...is that normal?

Thanks Mike!!

-Steve Gregory-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Technet Mail List provided as a free service by IPC using LISTSERV 1.8e To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with following text in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest Search the archives of previous posts at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------