Hi Jack,

The leads are NOT copper (as I have found out), but Phosphor Bronze, the plating is as follows:

Hard Gold Deposit
- Cobalt: .15 - .3%
- Hardness: 130-200 Knoops
- Deposit Purity: 99.7%
- Deposit Density: 17.5 g/cc
- MIL-G45204C TYPE 1 & TYPE 2 GRADE C

Copper Flash Deposit
- Grain Structure: Fine Grain (equiaxed)
- Density: 8.9 g/cm
- Conductivity: .59 microohms/cm
- Purity: 99.9% Copper
- Solderability: Excellent
- Hardness: 100-120 VPN
- Elongation: 10-25%
- Tensile Strength: 40-50 KPSI
- MIL-P-55110-D

Tin Deposit
- Purity: 100% Tin
- - Appearance: Bright
- Solderability: Excellent
- Density: 7.3 g/cc
- MIL-T-10727B

Nickel Deposit
- Purity: 99.9% Nickel
- Hardness: 200 - 450 K25
- Density: 8.9 g/cc
- Compressive Strength: 0 - 1000 PSI
- Tensile Strength: 103,000 PSI
- Elongation: 10 - 25%
- QQ-N-290A

I called SAMTEC, and the gentleman that I spoke with acknowledged that the appearance that I see in the solder joints, is what it is...there won't be any side or toe wetting. They do have a similar socket called their SMM series (instead of the CLT series that we use now), that have formed leads instead of stamped leads, and doesn't have the exposed base metal that we see with the CLT series...more dollars of course, but hey, you get what you pay for, right?

Hope they will work...a little taller than the CLT's, but maybe, just maybe, the assembly gods will smile on me and allow the SMM's to drop in. We'll see....

-Steve Gregory-

3. Steve, you may not have copper leads; under normal lighting conditions Kovar/Alloy 42/copper look about the same. Looking at those leads using different lighting color temperatures varying from 3,000 deg K to 4,500 deg K will differentiate between the metals. The concern should be whether it is known to be wettable and it won't. If the sides of some leads on the same components wet and others don't, you have a process problem to troubleshoot.
Jack Crawford
Director, Professional Development and Assembly Technology
847-790-5393
fax 847-504-2393

--------------------------------------------------- Technet Mail List provided as a free service by IPC using LISTSERV 1.8e To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with following text in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest Search the archives of previous posts at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315 -----------------------------------------------------