I have a supplier that believes that dry N2 will desiccate better than dry
air.  I don't think oxidation is a factor with this problem.  The N2 would
be pumped through/around this item so it would get a continuous
flow/rinsing.  If the dry air is just as dry as the N2 (dew point not
Mountain Dew point!) would the drying affect be the same?

My first recommendation was for a vacuum bake but for this item (for
reasons I can't go into here) that's not possible.  I may be able to have
them at least do a bake and flush with dry air or N2.