What your board house is referring to is the symmetry of the copper plating
pattern when making OL circuits.  Variations in the symmetry of the plating
pattern cause variations in the electrical field across the surface of the
panel.  The electrical field variation results in differing amount of copper
plating on the surface.

If you fabricator uses panel plating, the "plating" image is solid copper.
Very symmetric, uniform electrical field and uniform copper thickness on the
surface.  But with panel plating, you have to etch back down through all
that copper and that introduces variation in etch feature sizes.  Fluid
transport of fresh etch solution to the copper interface being etched can
make it difficult to etch narrow spaces.  If you have 4 mil lines on your OL
board and some of them are way off on their own with no adjacent while
others are run at 4 mil spacing from adjacent lines or other copper
features, it will be difficult to make both the isolated and dense traces
have the same width.  They'll have the same height (that's the beauty of
panel plate), but the isolated features will be narrower than the dense
ones.

In pattern plate, you have essentially the opposite effect occurring.  The
resist image pattern induces asymmetry to the copper plating pattern.  The
isolated features are now in areas of higher current density and the copper
plates faster (thicker) in these areas compared to the dense areas.  Etching
is simpler than panel plate because you are only etching through the base
foil plus a thin layer of strike copper plate.  This is the reason your
trusty board fabricator comes back and asks you if it's OK to add "robbers"
(non-functional copper fill added to areas of high current density to level
out the image symmetry) to the outer layers of your panels.

To avoid this, my always unpopular recommendation is don't rout critical,
narrow traces on OL.  If you must, try to make the copper pattern as uniform
as possible.

Mike McMaster
RF Product Engineer
Merix Corporation