  From: Steve Gregory
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 2:45 PM
  Subject: [TN] Round assembly...

  Hi all,

  We just got an assembly in here that is a little over 1.50" in diameter. It comes in a 8-up panel, with each board having four tabs holding it into the panel.

  We built 3 panels on a quick turn for our customer, and after we built them, the "mouse-bites" they had on the tabs didn't lend themselves to being broken easily, and I felt it was taking too much force to singulate the boards...I didn't want to fracture any solder joints or parts. So I got my trusty Dremel out and singulated them (it was only 24-boards).

  One peculiarity about this little board, is that the circumference on the top, bottom, and edge is plated, and the plating must stay intact, except where the tabs were.
  After the boards are built, they are conformal coated except for the plated area around the circumference.

  The dimensional tolerance for the diameter is 1.650" +/- .005". So if there is any proud material left at the tab area after the board is singulated, you can imagine what a PIA it is to have to file this down to meet spec...go to:

  http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com

  and look at "Round Assembly" to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

  My question is, what sort of tab configuration would you recommend that would be able to stay within that +/- .005" dimension and not have to file things down? Is it possible? This is a double sided SMT assembly using a .062" thick board.

  Thanks in advance!

  -Steve Gregory- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Technet Mail List provided as a free service by IPC using LISTSERV 1.8e To unsubscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask] with following text in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest Search the archives of previous posts at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------