  From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ed Popielarski
  Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 2:54 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: [TN] Bacteria

  Hi 'netters,

  I have a client that is building extremely high impedance low voltage
assemblies (counting electrons from a photomultiplier type circuit) that
recently are failing test due to "leakage" They are running water soluble
flux with an SMT type aqueous cleaner fed by closed loop D.I. water 1Meg/cm3
or better. Dynamic Ion testing shows very good results. They ran a culture
and found very high bacteria counts, well beyond fed drinking water
standards.Subsequent cleaning at the end user site (conditions unknown at
this time) seems to resolve the failures. I suggested UV sterilization (not
too expensive/risky) and also to verify "under soldermask" cleanliness as
well as "localized" contamination sites which "average" into the overall
assembly.

  My question is if anyone has had any electrical failures due to bacteria
in the rinse water and what solution(s) were successful. Any other
suggestions or suspicions would be appreciated.

  Regards,

  Ed Popielarski
  QTA Machine
  10 Mc Laren, Ste D
  Irvine, Ca. 92618

  Phone:949-581-6601
  Fax: 949-581-2448
  Cel: 949-337-2578

  WWW.QTA.NET
in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet To temporarily halt or
(re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet
NOMAIL or (MAIL) To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest Search the archives of
site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or
contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700