Etymology: back-formation from isolated set apart, from French isolé, from Italian isolato, from isola island, from Latin insula
Date: 1807
1 : to set apart from others; also : QUARANTINE
2 : to select from among others; especially : to separate from another substance so as to obtain pure or in a free state
3 : INSULATE
- iso·la·tor /-"lA-t&r/ noun

Main Entry: in·su·late
Pronunciation: 'in(t)-s&-"lAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Latin insula
Date: circa 1741
: to place in a detached situation : ISOLATE; especially : to separate from conducting bodies by means of nonconductors so as to prevent transfer of electricity, heat, or sound

As I understand words, "isolation" is to set one apart from another. "Insulation" is to apply a barrier to accomplish 'Isolation'.
If that is indeed correct, than if you want to know how well two conductors are isolated, you need to check the insulation between them. That can be expressed in Ohms for resistance or as surface or bulk resistivity.
And when the isolation stops working you have exceeded the allowable V/mm.

I like: One word, one meaning  --  one meaning, one word. But we in America are know for messing this up and relying too much on context. So given the right context oyu probably can use the terms you mentioned interchangably.

Have fun,

Ahne.