Oh, the passion of cleaning...., by far these type of TN questions receive the fastest and most replies.

No clean (a.k.a. Low residue) solder paste is formulated to be non-ionic in
nature, require a moderate to narrow process window, have good rehology,
good tack and wet life. The no clean solder pastes have become the industry
standard and represent about 65% of solder paste market. Most no clean
fluxes can be cleaned with aqueous, semi-aqueous and vapor phase cleaning
technologies. The need or benefit of cleaning is representative of the
application and reliability requirements.        (MB)

With the all the benefits of using these new paste formulas, having the option to clean is not as difficult as it was even 5 years ago. I know a few commercial, military including aerospace and auto suppliers that are doing what Lealand is asking and have been successfully for years. It is not smoking rocks and voodoo. It does however require a controlled cleaning process.

Once this is worked through and if followed will leave a component that can have many years of reliable service life.

Whether you are using just water or chemistry to clean you will need a process. Is this pro or con..? Yes cleaning is an added expense, but is this pro or con...? If it adds value, etc. to a high rel component, then.. ?

Leland feel free to call or e-mail me off-line.

Regards

Charlie Pitarys
Director of Application Technologies
603.622.2900 X-115