The is no real consensus on voids. These are my comments and my opinion based on observations and requests for help that we have received over the past two years.  Variation is bad and so is non-wetting. For single large voids verify wetting. If we see multiple voids in some balls and none in others we have variation.

As the balls get smaller, voids have a larger influence on  the strength of the interconnect, at the same time the package demands more from the interconnect.  CSP require better control of voids, not less.

A longer lower soak with a quicker ramp into reflow may help. Some packages tend to warp during this transition if the rate is too high. Changes in ramp rate near reflow temperatures can cause voids. Multiple reflows can induce voids (BGAS on both sides).

Some pastes are more prone to produce voids than others. Work with your paste supplier.

Guy Ramsey
Senior Technician / Instructor
operating the EMPF
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]