Steve,

We're concerned about the solder wicking through to the other side and presenting "balls" of solder on the second side.  This is a 120mil thick PCB and would take a bunch of extra print strokes to fil the via, then the stencil won't gasket and would probably be damaged when printing second side, damage by squeege blades.  I like the prevailing opinion: REDESIGN.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 7:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Vias in pads

Hi Mark,

I hope you've seen my pictures and seen what happened with me. But something you might try that I didn't think of when I ran my ten boards, is to do a double print stroke when printing the board...this may "force" some of the paste down inside the via and give it a bit of additional paste to fill down inside the via so that it doesn't suck so much from the fillet... maybe worth a try.

-Steve Gregory-

Group,

I have a challenging assembly that I need some of your combined professional experience to resolve.

I have been presented a 120mil-thick polyamide (sp?) dbl-sided PCB, gold finish with the majority of the C's&R's being 0402's, some 20mil QSOP and TSOP, QFP.  That's somewhat challenging in itself but to compound matters, there are MANY instances of vias in the SMT pads.  The vias go through the PCB and are NOT tented/plugged.  Many of these vias are on only one side of 2-terminal parts.  I don't have the complete set of gerbers and drill drawing so I can't determine the drill size of these vias.

Is there ANYTHING I can do at this stage of the game to produce a quality product in terms of stencil design, reflow profile, etc?  The customer is aware of the potential problems this presents.  Their primary concern is the solder wicking through to the other side.  Mine too, in addition to solder-starving and tomb stoning.

Your thoughts are appreciated.  Oh yeah, of course it's R/F.

Mark Charlton
Engineering Manager
MSI of Central Florida, Inc.
7703 Technology Drive Ste. 102