Contact Information:
Joe Dudeck, IPC Communications Manager
847-790-5371

For Immediate Release

IPC AND ITS MEMBERS CLAIM VICTORY

NORTHBROOK, Ill., March 15, 2002--IPC-Association Connecting Electronics Industries® has announced a victory in its efforts to pass a realistic depreciation bill for the electronics assembly and printed circuit board industries.

The U.S. Congress and the Bush Administration recently reached an agreement to pass an economic stimulus package that includes a significant accelerated depreciation provision for the electronic interconnection industry and other U.S. manufacturers.  This realistic depreciation issue has been a cornerstone of IPC's Government Relations policy for more than seven years.  The bipartisan effort received support from nearly every congressman and senator IPC contacted to support the bill.

"This is a great victory for IPC, its Board and its dedicated members," said IPC President Denny McGuirk.  "I congratulate and thank all those individuals, especially those that serve on our Government Relations committee, who have given their time and energy to attend past Capitol Hill Day events, write letters and host plant tours on this very important issue."

The "Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act of 2002," which was signed into law by President Bush on March 9, contains a 30 percent accelerated depreciation benefit over the next three years that will spur investment in state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment and assist in the recovery of the PCB and EMS industry.  The applicable time period for equipment covered under the new law is property that was acquired after September 10, 2001, and before September 11, 2004.

"The passing of this bill is timely for our industry and our national economy," added McGuirk.  "With IPC Printed Circuits Expo® 2002 just around the corner, the 30 percent accelerated depreciation benefit will likely impact many attendees' purchasing decisions in a positive way."

For more information, contact John Kania, IPC's director of Government Relations, at [log in to unmask] or 202-962-0460.

About IPC
IPC is a U.S.-based trade association dedicated to the competitive excellence and financial success of its more than 2,600 member companies which represent all facets of the electronic interconnection industry, including design, printed wiring board manufacturing and electronics assembly.  As a member-driven organization and leading source for industry standards, training, market research and public policy advocacy, IPC supports programs to meet the needs of a $44 billion U.S. industry employing more than 400,000 people.

//30//

NR02056AccDepSupport