From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 5:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] FW: Water soluble w/BGA

Mary Jane wisely asks:

I wanted to present this question out to the experts; What do you think
about the validity of using water soluble flux with BGAs? Do you see a
"residue" issue? Thanks.

Doug Pauls, now way overdosed on Dew, replies:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyybe.
What water soluble flux? Alpha 609 paste
What reflow method?  Vapor phase, IR reflow, laser, hot gas? Air convection
reflow
What cleaning process? DI water
Adding anything to the water? No
In-line or batch cleaning? Both
Itty bitty BGAs or big-honkin' BGAs?? Everything under the sun
Full array or perimeter array? Same as above
What standoffs? Same as above
Are your boards clean going into it? Yes
What do you mean by residue? Any contaminant
What end use environment? It doesn't matter
What reliability requirements? It doesn't matter
What is the service life of the product? As long as it keeps on ticking
What are the consequences of failure? Customer dissatisfaction
Are you underfilling the BGA? No
Why does the other line always move faster? Because the other line took
their vitamins
Is giving a year's supply of Captain Crunch cereal to my nieces a fitting
revenge on my sister? Only if your sister embarrassed you when you were
growing up.

I should probably stop now.  Too much Dew.  Definitely too much Dew!!