RE: [DC] PADS POWER PROFESSIONAL DESIGNER
Hi Chris,
Some of the stuff we have been going over at out meeting and over the net.... here is a synopsis...

Palomar College, a Community Junior College in my area (San Diego, CA) has the following offerings for PCB Design -

DT 210       PRINTED CIRCUIT DESIGN       (PADS)                3 units
Prerequisite: NONE
34065             6-8:50pm                  TTh                              BARCLAY S                         E-13
 Basically a PADS tool class with some PCB design basics in it...

DT 197       ADVANCED PCB DESIGN       (PADS)                     3 units
Prerequisite: DT 210
34065             6-8:50pm                  TTh                              BARCLAY S                         E-13
A more advanced curriculum with the final being a fairly decent board design. Runs concurrent with the beginning class.

In Washington State,  Lake Washington Technical College is sending their offerings in for State approval: here are some of the pertinent courses... there are many more in the AS degree program taken from the Electrical and Technician and Drafting degree programs..

EPCB    101    PCB Design I    5 credits
ENGT    262    Printed Circuit Board Graphics Design    4 credits
ENGT    261     Engineering Schematics    4 credits
EPCB    201    Design for Manufacture & Test    4 credits
EPCB    202    PCB Design II    5 credits
EPCB    203    PCB Documentation & Postprocessing    2 credits

course descriptions:
PCB I:
This course provides the student with a general overview and basic skills necessary to follow and implement the process flow of the Printed Circuit board Design Cycle.  Emphasis will be placed on building the teamwork required to produce the final product.

PCB II:
This course will investigate the theories behind different layout strategies.  Areas covered will include Digital, Analog, High Speed, RF, and EMI.  Emphasis will be on PCB materials, thermal considerations, power distribution, timing, capacitance, inductance, and impedance as they relate to the circuit layout and signal integrity.

Design for Manufacture and Test:
This course will investigate the design theories based on design rules for both large and small-scale production levels.  Emphasis will be placed on verification methods for manufacture and test engineering practical application of electronic theory.  Areas of discussion will include manufacturing processes and test methods such as shock, vibration, ICT, HALT, HAST, and Environmental tests.

PCB Documentation & Post processing:
This course will define the different layers of documentation necessary for the fabrication and assembly of a printed circuit board.  Students will learn the history, classifications, and techniques of PCB fabrication.  This course will introduce the student to many translation languages transferring PCB design data, including GERBER, NC drill data, DXF, IGES, HPGL, GenCAM, PDF, and PS.

---

Collin County Community College in Texas has a design curriculum too, but I don't have a copy of the courses... in addition apparently there are PCB courses at the following Texas colleges...

Dallas County Community College
El Paso County Community College
Austin County Community College
an Jacito County Community College  Taylor County Community College

I heard there is a program in Georgia at Gwinnett Tech. in Lawrenceville, Ga, USA   though I don't have the details on it... also - Algonquin College, Ottawa (Nepean) Canada, WestArk Community College in Ft.Smith, AR, USA, Middlesex Community College in Bedford,Mass, USA, Newbury college, UK and Beeville Community College, Southern Texas, USA

I don't know all the Designers Council members that are participating in Educational activities yet... but I hope to...  We want to coordinate our efforts to standardize a curriculum that can be modeled across the US and help foriegn countries establish their own models...

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.
TITAN SYSTEMS CORPORATION
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS DIVISION
3030 Enterprise Court
Vista, CA 92083
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
mailto:[log in to unmask]
IPC Designers Council, San Diego Chapter
<http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/>
<http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm
http://dc.ipc.org/

I will be checking with the local college about starting a degreed course in PCB design. I'm not sure who they need to contact about certification.

CR