From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 9:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] BGAs on alternative finishes

Hi Seth!

The "exposed copper monster" raises it's head again...I'm just asking, is exposed copper REALLY a bad thing? I've seen many differing opinions...if it's such a bad thing, how do OSP coated boards survive? How did the Statue of Liberty survive for 100-years in the elements, acid rain on the east coast, etc..or the uninsulated telegraph wires strung over the USA?

Just asking; is exposed copper (other than solderable surfaces that were intended to be plated and didn't because of dewetting or some other reason) a REAL problem?

I might think that if the assembly were subjected to a corrosive enviroment it could be a problem, but then the assembly should be protected with a conformal coating because the tin/lead plating is going to suffer as well.

From my understanding about copper oxidation, copper will oxidise to a certain point and then stop, the oxidation actually prevents further oxidation. That's the desirable green patina that one sees on old sculptures. Am I wrong about this?

-Steve Gregory-

It's too easy for a small scratch to expose
copper and that's not a good thing.  My two cents worth, anyway.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC
tel 608.833.9933