Morning Olivia,
Back in my mil-spec days we had a requirement for periodic re-certification. This training was done in house and consisted of reviewing accept/reject criteria with the operator (the theoretical part). Followed by assembly of a practice/test part (the practical part). The assembly was then sent through normal QC inspection, if the assembly passed the operator got their cert.
For this to work we had to have a mil spec certified trainer in house. This lucky individual was rewarded with periodic trips to China Lake to maintain *their* certification. Should be a lot simpler now a days.
Hope you find this helpful,
Dan