Hello Brian,

Wonderful argument. (and a great linguistic history lesson I might add).

Your comments reminded me of a line that I believe was from a Bob Dylan song of long ago "If you ain't busy growing, your busy dying"

Having the ability to learn and adapt to change is vital to survival and growth. Guidelines can serve as a map of the terrain but nature has a way of altering the geography making the map less useful.

If the chasm does not exist on the map but you are confronted with one, rather than to step into the abyss it is more prudent to find a new path around it or as you have noted, let common sense kick in.

Control is a worthwhile and important objective in product design and manufacturing but control should not be applied mindlessly or only for its own sake.

In the familiar word's of Dennis Miller:

"Of course that just my opinion, I could be wrong"   ;-)

Wishing a Happy, Prosperous and Peaceful New Year to all,
Joe