Hi Stacy!

First, of all, I for one am utterly amazed at the advances that have been made in computer performance. Hell, it seems that it wasn't that long ago that I thought if I had a 40MB hard drive, and 8MB of RAM, I was "leading edge"...and it really wasn't that long ago, that's what is so amazing.

Now I have a laptop that has 8-times more RAM than the capacity that most hard-drives had back then, and my hard drive has the capacity that wasn't even thought about back in those days...again, that wasn't that long ago. If someone said back then there would be 10Gbit hard drives in portable laptop computers, you would have been thought crazy, not only because of the question of how in the world could that much storage be built and fit inside a laptop, and then the question would arise of why in the world you ever need such storage? My, my, how things have changed.

Talking about data storage, we just took delivery of a new server at our company. I actually saw our IT guy drooling...it has 54-terabites worth of drives...54,000 gigabites!
I'm impressed to be sure...

Although I'm not in memory manufacturing anymore, I know that the roadmaps that are out there, maybe old stuff weeks or months from now...things are so competive and closely guarded in this arena, that really you don't know what could be released next week.

From what I've seen though, DDR has the immeadiate future for the next few years, they're in a variety of packages...TSOP, MicroBGA, depending on density...

I found a good *.PDF that has a roadmap from RAMBUS that talks about memory and motherboard development from their perspective....don't know if you've seen it.
It's at:

http://www.rambus.co.jp/developer_site/downloads/PlatformPresentation_0701.pdf

It's 35-pages, so it's a hefty download...but hey, we got all this memory now, piece of cake huh?...hehehe

Again, this is only the stuff that's talked about...I keep hearing snipets about single chip computers...we all may be amazed once again!

-Steve Gregory-

Happy New Year To All,

In order to utilize our current equipment and better
eval the future equipment, I need to some help on the
3- 5 year future of Memory Product.

Typically, at this moment,

DDRDIMM, RIMM, DIMM are 5.25" L and 1 - 1.7" Height,
using from micro BGA, 16 mils pitch component, to 31
mils.  For small component, 0402 is the smallest.

144 SODIMM is 2.66 L x 1 - 1.5 H, using the same
components as the above.

The ratio on DIMM is 4 small component/1 TSOP and 8/1
for DDR.

That is what I know for now.  This would last for 1
year.

How about the future?  Do you have any guild line from
Intel, ADM, Jedec? about component usage, small/big
component ratio, PCB outline? ...

Please advise.

Thanks,

Stacy