Hi Mike!

Just to let you know about another system out there (that I'm looking into) is a system that uses focused IR beams, it's called PDR. The link to their page is at:

http://www.smtrework.com/

We currently have a OK Systems BGA-3000 system, and it has worked fine for us, the person that I talked with at PDR readily acknowledges that the system we have is a good system, but the reason that I called and talked with PDR is because of some very unusual rework requirements that we face here...it's with some RF assemblies that are bonded inside a very heavy metal chassis.

I haven't been able to rework the RF components after it's in the chassis in the Ok systems machine unless I remove 4-bolts for the head, turn it around 180-degrees (so I can put a laboratory hot plate beneath the head to heat the chassis up).

The bottomside preheater in the machine is fine for regular boards with the OK system, but for these beasts with the metal chassis, it ain't enough.

So, when our customer said they had a PDR system, and it worked great, I've been looking at it...I like what I see so far. Don't need scores of nozzles for all the different packages, just a few lenses...non-contact, real-time, temperature measurements (No thermocouples to mess with), self profiling software, split-mirror placement for BGA's...sounding more and more like a nice system...just something else to look at.

-Steve Gregory-

Hi all,

I am just evaluating a number of BGA rework stations and was hoping for a
wee bit of feed-back on what everyone prefers.  I have evaluated the Ersa
rework bench and it seems to be my preference so far, what are everyones
experiences with this unit?  I have also looked at the Zephyrtronics
benchtop BGA rework station, but I haven't heard anyone else's opinion of
this brand, any comments????  Is anyone actually using this system????

Thanks

Mike Bell
Process Engineer

GPC Electronics