Dear TechNetters,

We have a part that fell off during a vibration test, and I am concerned
about the lead configuration of this part.  It is an Inductor, Simple
Switcher, from Pulse.  The package is  LCI-37, which uses wires for leads,
2 each on each side of the part.  I am skeptical of this method (using
wires instead of flat leads) of securing the part to the PCB.  Has anyone
had any experience with this type of inductor?  Aside from the leads, I am
suspecting a contamination problem that contributed to the part falling
off the PCB.  Is there any way to confirm contamination by examining the
remaining solder on the pads under a microscope?  Under the scope at 25x,
the solder looks somewhat grainy with some voids.   Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Howard Watson
Manufacturing Engineer
AMETEK/Dixson