From: Stephen Gregory [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: January 9, 2002 5:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Green Slime on QFP lead toes...

Hi Doug!

The ends of the leads aren't plated over. They were cut in a burr-up fashion. So there is smeared plating over the toes from the bottom of the foot up about three quarters of the thickness of the lead...if you closely, you can see the silver color of the tin plating through the green glop...

This stuff almost looks like some sort of grease or something that was on the die or anvil when they did form and trim...weirdest stuff I ever saw.

-Steve Gregory-

Steve,
It looks like the ends of the leads were cut and not plated over.  I would
guess that the green material is either copper chloride or copper abietate
where the exposed copper of the lead is attacked.  Check to see if the ends
are cut or plated over on the two sides that don't have the green material.

Doug Pauls