From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Stephen R. Gregory
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 4:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Panel Layout Standardization

Hi Stacy!

Having read the replies that you've recieved so far, they are giving you good information. The only thing I can add is some past experience from my employment at a memory company...Smart Modular Technologies, they are no longer, was bought out by Solectron...but I digress...

As far as X-outs, they aren't free. The FAB house won't charge you for them, and your bare costs may be lower, but there are costs that you will see on your production floor from X-outs.

Normally what I see from the fab houses is a big "X" drawn on the individual boards. That X is something that we can't program our machines to see since it's not consistently in the same place. We normally had to sort the panels one-by-one and put a label that the machine can see on each of the x-outs, at a consistent location, so the machine don't try and populate bad boards.

The other alternative is to sort the fabs according to which boards are bad, and then have separate programs that populate only the good boards...either way, you still have to handle each board.

The other thing to think about is the wasted solder paste that you print on these bad fabs. It may seem insignificant, but when I worked at Smart Modular, we would sometime do almost a million modules a month during our busy times. I did a calulation of the solder paste that was wasted on bad boards over a years time, and it was close to $50,000 a year!

It's not only that, you need to figure in the time that's wasted in depaneling. You say you have a router inline that depanelizes everything, does it do only the good boards, or does it do the whole panel? Is it wasting time routing out bad boards?

X-out aren't a big deal in low volumes, but if you do high volumes, the costs that you may save in the bare board costs may be insignificant compared to what you spend on the production floor...

-Steve Gregory-