At 12:00 AM 12/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
Date:     Sat, 8 Dec 2001 00:00:03 -0600
Sender:   TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
From:     Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  TechNet Digest - 7 Dec 2001 (#2001-765)
To:       Recipients of TechNet digests <[log in to unmask]>

Topics of the day:

  1. BGA Visual Inspection (2)
  2. PWB Fab Note Question - Diameter True Position (3)
  3. BGA Rework Equipment (2)

Date:    Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:49:57 EST
From:    "Stephen R. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: BGA Visual Inspection

Hi Greg!

We've had a ERSA scope for about a year now, and I like it. We originally bought it because we ran into a problem with a BGA that we were placing on one of our customers boards. It was a super BGA from TI and they obsoleted it, the replacement from TI had a big metal heatsink in the top of it and the Glennbrook RTX-113 we have wasn't powerfull enough for us to see through it, so we bought the ERSA scope.

It takes a little while to get used to using it, but I like it. X-ray can do things that the ERSA scope can't, and the ERSA scope can do things that X-ray can't. I feel that they compliment each other.

There's been more than a few times that test has given me a board telling me that the BGA has shorted and needs replacing. I would inspect it under the ERSA scope and give it back to them telling them that there isn't a short on the BGA....sure enough, after they did some more trouble-shooting it turned out to be something else.

-Steve Gregory-

-Steve Gregory-

TechNet Friends,