Graham,

I responded to a question regarding surface finish choices on the LeadFree forum back in August. It explains my thinking as to why Lucent chose Immersion Silver as the right finish for a lot of our product. I do not intend to state that it is the most popular choice, nor will be in the near future, but it is one with which we are comfortable. These are of course my thoughts as to surface finish choices and not those of Lucent as a whole. I have copied my previous response below.

At Lucent, we have also struggled with the optimal choice of a surface
finish. I will try to give you my thinking as to each coating.

Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG) can be an excellent choice, but I feel its success is very dependent on the board vendor. Controlling the ENIG process is the most difficult of the surface choices about which you inquired. If the nickel deposition is not well controlled, it can lead to problems. If the bath is run in low volumes, I feel that control can be very difficult. Also, the phenomena of "Black Pad" has caused us great concern. It is a very difficult failure to detect because you can easily pass ICT with these fractured joints, and then get into a an intermittent problem once in the field. Also, our experience on wetting to nickel to form nickel/tin intermetallics is only a fraction of that which we have attained over the years for wetting to copper and forming copper/tin intermetallics. Soldermask attack can also be an issue. Finally, during our evaluation of ENIG we found that it could not hold up to temperature/humidity for even 24 hours. Although, this is not real production conditions, it indicated that the coating wasn't as robust as the Immersion Silver (ImAg) tested in parallel.

Immersion Tin (ImSn) is also felt to be suspect. With the thin coatings expected on the board, we are concerned with shelf life. We do use ImSn for press-fit backplanes, but do not recommend it for SMT or TH applications. We completed assembly testing with ImSn a few years ago that indicated there was a higher defect rate at assembly than with other finishes. However, I want to stress that this was one formulation and that improvements may have been made. However, there is still the issue of intermetallic formation consuming the tin, reducing shelf life and making multiple thermal cycles problematic. Also, the chemistry involved is more of a health hazard than those used with OSP's or immersion silver.

We have used OSP's for almost two decades now and in general have had good success. With proper care in handling, and usage of nitrogen blanketing to reduce oxygen levels during thermal excursions, we have been able to accomplish good soldering on multiple thermal cycles. The reason we no longer prefer OSP is not because of the coating itself, but due to isolated busts that have occurred. We have seen defects caused by very thin layers of soldermask residue on the pads and also due to incomplete removal of tin strip residues after etching. Also, with via in pad product we have experienced where the inside of the small holes are not completely dried and thereby break down the surface of the pad and reduce solderability. These busts can't be detected until after expensive components have been attached to the board. These are low level type situations, but when they occur they cost a lot of money because we end up junking that product. I know you could scrape the pad and repair the individual defect, but you can't determine if there are other marginal areas on the board that meet visual requirements yet may be marginal and be a reliability concern.

Immersion Silver (ImAg) is now the surface of choice for Lucent. We underwent extensive testing during 1997 and introduced the finish into production in 1998. A paper detailing our testing was presented at IPC summit on Surface Finishes and PWB Solderability in September 1999. We have since produced a large quantity of circuit packs with this finish and are very satisfied with our results. Although there have been a couple of isolated incidents, the problems encountered with this coating are less than any other with which we have experience.

If you would like further information, please contact me.

[text/html]