From: David Douthit [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 16:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Trimming Leads...

Steve,

If needed cut them to length before soldering. Cutting after soldering runs
the risk of stress fractures in the solder joints plus exposed base metal.

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC

"Stephen R. Gregory" wrote:

Hi All,

I've got a question about trimming leads on components such as three-row DIN
connectors, machine pin sockets, PGA devices, things like that...

In the past, I've never trimmed the leads on components like that. But I
can't find any reference that says those are things that you don't lead
clip...

The reason I'm asking is the -610 and J-STD say that for class-3, the leads
are not supposed to be longer than 1.5mm (.0591"). Should leads be clipped
on the kind of components I outlined above if they exceed that?

Thanks!!

-Steve Gregory-