From: Stephen R. Gregory [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Attaching Microwave Components

Hi Jim!

We build quite a few RF assemblies here and most always solder the component bodies to the ground plane. I get stencils made to print paste in the proper patterns for each component. We solder RF bandpass filters, threshold detectors, RF amplifiers, mixers, directional couplers, etc. this way...

As what once somebody else said; "Ground is god in RF assemblies..."

-Steve Gregory-

Hello Tec Netters,
We are de-buging a new circuit board containing a microwave filter operating
in the 2 - 3 Ghz range.  This filter was soldered around the perimeter of
the case to the ENIG ground plane using 63/37 eutectic.  The engineer is
stating that electrically the filter does not appear to be adequately
grounded to that plane.  I am wondering if there is a better way to attach
these filters?  Would it be better to solder the entire bottom of the filter
case to the plane?  Is anyone using conductive epoxy?  Liquid or sheet?  I
would appeciate comments.
Thanks,
Jim Kittel
L-3 Communications