Chris,

I believe that JEDEC is the controlling organization for the package styles here in the U.S.

You will see several references in the IPC-SM-782 to this.

I think that the way it works, is that a company creates a new package style, and submits it to the JEDEC committee, where it is voted on and when approved becomes an 'official' pattern.

The Japanese have their equivalent to the JEDEC (the EIAJ) - and this causes some pattern differences, at times - but the companies are now realizing the benefits of 'playing together' when creating new patterns.

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics

I have several links to surface mount standards, but what I would like to know
is who actually makes the standards for these footprints?
Is it IC makers and they are adopted such organizations as IPC?
Are the IPC standards THE standard or are they a collection of
others?

I understand there are some European standards as well. Who
controls these? (These may be a Gary questions)

I've found standards or actually descriptions at several different sites and
want to ensure all are correct.

Same question with package types....

CR