James Paul,
Removing or reducing unused internal
pads should have no effect on your board
If this is a soldered pad, the fault most
likely lies in the soldering of the pad/hole.
Without the additional internal copper to
dissipate the heat, it may have broken down.

Many fabricators recommend or will remove unused
pads on internal layers for you. A 60 pad
should be sufficient for a 32 hole though.
A 64 is more ideal, but it all depends on
application. If internal pads are to be removed,
it is recommended that the external pads are
a bit larger to dissipate heat.

Chris Robertson

Senior Designer
Lockheed-Martin Services Inc.