Hi Mary,

I'd have to assume that the caps that are cracking are ceramic chip caps,
and likely 0805 or larger.

I'd also bet you that the caps are near the edge of a board (vgroove?
perforations? shear?) or at another boundary at depanelization.

or:

They're near a connector that requires a deal of force to insert or
withdraw

or:

They're being flexed in test/burn in, etc.

or:

They're near a location  where something's eyeletted or riveted.

or....

You've got some thermal shock conditions at wave/reflow

or
(you get the picture)

After many years years of working  ceramic caps failures (among many others
:-) ), the the VAST majority (>95%)  failed due to strain/stress being
induced in some step of the board mfg process.... mostly depanelization
and/or test.

Rgds
John

Square D Component Engineering