From: Stephen R. Gregory [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 5:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Component F/A continues with more ugly pics

Hey Moonman!

Pic's are up! Go to:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/index.html

-Steve Gregory-

Ladies and others,

Steve is kindly posting more ugly pictures of the continuing component
failure analysis saga. Damn exciting stuff, eh?

The first picture shows a "normal" view of the device in question's
x-section. The basic construction is shown but please note the transistor
warpage conforming to it's eutectic bond that varies significantly in
thickness as in the next image.

Don't know if this is a problem. Does GaAs like to "bend" that much? is the
thin section of the eutectic causing thermal problems? I don't know because
I ain't no semiconductor expert like some of you who have kindly answered
before.

Input appreciated with a promise of more ugly pics not the leas of which
will be SEM/EDX analysis of the "real" construction and the show stopper as
acoustic microscopy images taken from the bottom side of the device after
the CIC flange is ground and polished to a respectable depth so a 100 Mhz
transducer can sonically examine the various layers for voiding or other
anomalies. Jeez, isn't this great?

MoonMan