At 03:20 PM 6/18/2001 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
Hi Steve
Nice Blisters!
Microsections could tell you at what interface the delam occurred and that
might give you a clue.

Yes.  Had to go through this several times recently.  Lately we've seen some problems with basic oxide coverage.  There's a whole host of possible causes.  In the past I've seen delam problems due to contaminates on innerlayer, undercured epoxy allowing chemical attack from the holes, prepreg moisture/aging in storage, and several more obscure failure modes.

I agree with Susan.  Do a vertical section first to determine where it failed (metal to dielectric  bond or interdielectric failure).  If you determine that it's a dielectric to metal failure you'll want to do a horizontal section to view it from that aspect.  You may have something as obvious as poor oxide .  That's the obvious and simplest failure mode to check out.  If there's a problem with the oxide you'll be able to see it through the FR4 as you grind through the preceding layer.  How the oxide looks will give you some clues about the nature of the failure (whether it's chemical attack in from holes or whether there's poor oxide coverage). If it's chemical attack due to undercure or pinkring you'll want to do some cure testing.  If due to contaminates then off to a lab for analysis of the failed spot.

If there's an interdielectric failure then you need to have an entirely different conversation.  But leave that worry for after doing a vertical section -- likely you'll find the failed interface is on an oxide to prepreg layer.

 I would include holes in the sections where you can.

Concur

Wedge voids can
lead to such blisters if moisture is trapped at the interface.

And also even if there is no moisture the wedge void may be an indicator of chemical attack in from the drilled hole along a bond interface.

good luck,
Dwight