impedance control specs

Brandon,
First I can tell you that we have gotten our specs down so that there is absolutely no
change to the material thickness. All the boards tested were accurate and we began
having board built without the test and had some of those tested here. They were also
100 within spec if not right on the head.
I'm not "The man" on this issue but I have spent a lot of time with our specifications.
Our specs (to an extent) area at www.robertsondne.com . They are modular so that
you can choose between a couple different ones. There is also a calcualtor, based
and tested on several others including polor. The advantage is that you can
calculate up to 12 layers at once instead of chasing your tail with the 2 layer versions.
(resource.xls) it also allows you to build your stackup and record it along with other
settings.
First there is the material itself. IPC spec material tolerance is only 1mil for prepreg
and 2 for core material. (check for yourself) If you do the math any more will be out of
impedance tolerance. +/-10% for 50Ohm. I provide a spec that the material may
change the value of the material tolerance (+/-)
Second if possible, sandwich a prepreg between two planes. Use this to adjust to
whatever thickness remains. You don't want to adjust the dielectric thicknesses
to account for the board thickness, so this is the best way I have found.
Third, trace tolerance is +/- 1mil. If you do the math, that is all that is allowed,
so a board house running advanced technology will be required.
Fourth specify the impedance tolerance and the Er value that your calculations
were based on so the material is matched up. (I have to say that because I
get different stories from fabricators)

Test for the first few you do and find out the "fall out" amount and get feedback
on what the actual stackup was to verify future values.

Seperate you minimum trace note from your controlled impedance note to clarify
things. Some manufacturers like to calculate things for themselves. I use 8 mil
traces for controlled impedence and 6 mil min trace. (don't want them to do
calculations for 6mil)

Make very sure (very dam sure) that they call you if they need to make the thicknesses
different than specified. It's more than a matter of who is right, but documenting what
was done.

Also there a few combination you will find in the trace/dielectric thickness 8mil trace
on 1 oz copper with 12mil dielectric has been working for me.

There are several different stackups, but find one that works best and stick with it.
Controlled impedence is normally done with high frequency so at first, practice
sandwiching your signal layers with plane layers to eliminate crosstalk then move
on to trace-trace stack ups. (I will stay with plane-trace-plane for a long time)

I don't take credit for this program because I riped everyone off to make it.
I would like to thank them all for the cullmination of their information.
I'm working on making this a stand alone program for users of any layout program.

I hope this helps. If so pass it on.

Chris Robertson

Senior Designer
Lockheed-Martin Services Inc.
4912 Research Dr.
Huntsville, AL 35805
(256) 722-2626

Good Day!

  We are having a raging debate about specifying controlled impedance on our fabrication drawings.

  The main part of the debate is over laminate thickness specifications.  I would like to know how other companies are handling these issues

        Are you specifying the individual laminate thickness?

        Are you specifying the individual laminate thickness tolerance?   If so, how do you handle deviations between different fab houses beyond the tolerance?

It seems that every time we use a different fab house, they like to use their standard laminates.  While this is also a benefit to us, it causes problems when our boards are microsectioned and the board doesn't agree with the print.

We will continue to specify trace width, copper thickness and impedance, all with tolerances.

Any input will be appreciated!

        Brandon Luther

        Dataram Corp.

(609) 799-007  x2310