From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ken Bloomquist
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 1:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Standoffs

Hi Technetters,

I have a question on threaded standoffs, swaged into printed wiring boards, that are used for mounting wire lugs and chassis mounting. I'm interested in both roll swaged and flared flange both soldered and non-soldered.

Using the guidelines of J-STD-001, do the same rules for splits and cracks apply to standoffs as do for bifurcated and turret terminals? In discussions with numerous standoff manufacturers they tell me that these parts WILL split but do not affect form, fit or function. J-STD-001 seems to be concerned with entrapment of processing fluids and does not address standoffs.

How do others handle these type of components especially regarding splits and cracks that extend into the shank?

Ken Bloomquist
General Dynamics
Ordnance and Tactical Systems
Aerospace Operations