It may be a solution, but I would like to add an obsevation, something I
saw during X-ray inspection:
The corner balls which shorted in our case were the same balls which on
good reworked BGA's had an odd shape- mainly  like a Pisa Tower.
I think that during cooling an "equilibrium" was achieved between the
more and the less expanded side of the solder joints. It was interesting
to see that the deviation grew from the middle of the row towards the
end. And it was not a screen image error, as it often happens. Putting
the corner balls in the middle of the screen, we saw it clearly.
If the balls were High temp balls, in our case I think that without
melting, this situation would have led to opens, depending of course on
the quantity of solder paste .
.....????
Gaby