Kathy/Alcon:
- I believe that the number of five (5) being applied to repair actions is a
misapplication of the old "simulated repair" or solder float test that was
applied to pwb test coupons in accordance with Mil-P-55110.  Seems to me
(reaching back into the catacombs of grey matter) that when testing a pwb
coupon, the pwb was considered "good" if it did not exhibit any lifted pads
after 5 simulated rework/repair actions.  Based on that test, industry
observers concluded that it was OK to rework/repair any connection up to 5
times before it left the assembly line (not exactly what DOD intended).  No
longer have a copy of 55110, but I am sure there are those about who do have
copies and can confirm/deny my recollection.
Regards, Jim Moffitt, Moffitt Consulting Service, 317/773-5570