SOME heat sinks are prone to problems with saponifiers. These are
generally the conversion-coated ones. A properly anodised and sealed alu
or alloy should not leach dye unless the saponifier is unbuffered.

Again, unbuffered saponifier may cause problems with alu caps.

Neither of these problems should present themselves with straight
aqueous cleaning of water-soluble chemistry. If saponifiers are used,
make sure that the buffering is such that alu is not attacked.

For the anecdote, I had more problems with cleaning alu caps in CFC-113
azeotropes than with water - they often failed 6 - 12 months after
cleaning, unless hermetic types (epoxy-sealed) were chosen. This problem
has been documented in the literature and can happen with any
halogenated solvent.

Brian