Contamination by Fire Combustion Products.

I order to get around the problem of appropriate standards we conducted a survey of 4 computer rooms, carefully selecting four surfaces, two horizontal, two vertical. When the surfaces are matched and anion concentrations compared we are unable to distinguish the room with the fire. It turns out to be the second cleanest room of the four. (It was a very small fire).
So - where to with future reliability of the boards?

I cannot pick a standard without justification.
The ANSI J-STD-001B has been inappropriately cited by the restoration company (beginning with Re....) as the qualifying standard - and the equipment manufacturers have used this standard to disqualifiy equipment based on the chloride content of WIPES taken from the EXTERNAL  surfaces of the equipment enclosures! - Beggers belief.

I have just received an IVF Research Publication - "Cleanliness and Reliability: Evaluation of Test Methods and the Impact of Contamination from the Production Process on the Reliability of Printed Circuit Board Assemblies" where they state: "there is no clear correlation between the results from the measurements (resistivity of solvent extract & ion chromotography) and the reliability of the test product.

I recently spoke with a Melbourne based R&D lab who were investigating intermittant failures of circuit boards. They discovered that the populated boards were arriving with 20 to 30 micrograms of NaCl equivalent per sq inch from the manufacturer but could not relate the failures to the ionic contamination.

What I need is some further documented experience on the reliability of circuit boards (Like the publication above) to support or discount my "do nothing" case.
Thank you all for providing telephone numbers for relevant contacts. I am in Melbourne Australia - Could you please indicate in which country these kind folk reside.
Timothy Cousins
http://www.timcousins.com.au