Jim,

Like Gregg Klawson we have never found conductive adhesive attachment to
solder coated devices to be electrically stable, but all of this work was
with cure temepatures in the 150-165°C range (ceramic-like substrates).

I can make myself believe that lower cure temperatures would be better by
getting away from the plastic range of the solder.

I know there are multiple adhesive manufactures out there selling materials
for these applications, but have not been called upon to use them.

Question back at you all - with the readily exposed silver, seemingly just
waiting to migrate, doesn't anyone worry about this?  Is conformal coating
percieved as the 'fix' to migration??

I would seem that board flexure during subsequent processing, or use, would
be catastrophic for polymer attachments.

I would appreciate enlightenment by the forum.

Steven Creswick
CTS RF Integrated Modules

At 03:34 PM 1/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, Technet...
>
>Here is an unusual situation.  We have to assemble a surface mount assembly
>using silver epoxy.  Some of the components will be solder coated.  I know,
>don't bother asking... this is the way it has to be.  The good thing is that
>this assembly is a prototype for bench-top laboratory use only.  There is no
>harsh environment and needs to operate 1, maybe 2, years.  The question is
>does anyone foresee any problems?  What happens when one mixes toe two
>technologies?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Marsico
>EDO Electronic Systems Group
>[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

>To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send the following message: SET
Technet NOMAIL
>Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources & Databases >
E-mail Archives