Hi Scott, I will attempt to make some sort of sense of this subject of copper thickness...

1 ounce copper is about .0014" thick (.035mm)
It looks like your customer wants 2 oz. copper thickness for his board based on the dimension of .0026 ..(.0028 would be nominal).
Most board houses put thieving pads around the perimeter of the panel to even out the copper plating over the entire surface of the board... do they not? (comments welcome)

From a designer's point of view... the thickest areas are calculated to have the current carrying capacity required by the electrical circuit... which may vary from conductor to conductor... or plane to plane.. that keeps the board from getting to Tg or glass transition temperature... or keeps the board cool enough to not over temp the components that have to operate within a certain temp range...
or keeps the circuit from becoming a fuse... or becoming a glowing ember..... etc. etc...

There are usually design tolerances on these features... The designer may or may not have specified these tolerances such that the functionality of the board would be in question if your plating was uneven..... but,
Your processes should be under control enough to keep a relative uniformity of plating across the board... or you should buy 2 oz. material to start with and avoid the process problems...

My suggestion ... of course... would be to speak with the designer of the board... he/she will be able to tell you just how critical the thickness requirements are... and how much deviation that he/she can tolerate. QA can only go by the print...
Also, copper thickness is not just used for current carrying capacity... sometimes it's a heat sink. The designer of the board is your best source for resolution of this problem.
Hope that helps a little...

Bill Brooks
Senior PCB Designer -
Zoneworx, Inc.
40925 County Center Drive, STE 200
Temecula, CA 92591
http://www.zoneworx.com
Tel: (909) 296-1226 x 1037
Co-Director / Education Officer / Webmaster

for the San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council

http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/index.html

http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/