Mike,
Regarding odd-form placement.
This is what we found when we looked at the getting some odd form insertion machines recently.
The evaluation we did is only based on our requirements but I would guess they are very similar to what most other people want -flexibility and speed (throughput).
Firstly we were surprised by how few machines we could find, that may be because we're a little geographically isolated down here in Australia but we did send someone to the USA to have a look at some of the trade shows and they didn't find anything different.
We loooked at the following four machines:
Citizen M6
Citizen M11
Celtronix
Fuji ABA440
What we found is that you have to be prepared to spend lots of money
( I know lots is a relative measure but quarter to half a million in my book is a lot of money)
Which is split about 50 / 50 between machine and tooling.
The two things we were looking for were flexibility- we wanted to place a range of parts ie relays, large caps, transformers and connectors.  The second was throughput- the machine had to do it quicker than an operator could.
We found that we could not find a machine that met both of our criteria at a reasonable cost (payback period).
The Citizen M6 and M11 were fast enough (0.7-1.2 secs) but did not have enough flexibility it could only insert 60% of the parts we wanted whilst the Celtronix machine was very impressive (vision systems etc) and placed around 80% of the parts its spec'd insertion time was 3 secs. (We manually place at 4-5 secs)
Fuji just didn't seem to want to talk to us but their machine is rated at 2.85 secs.
So Mike I'm sorry but I can't answer any of you other questions because we didn't buy a machine.
I would be very interested to hear from other Tech-netters telling me how wrong we were but at this point in time we may consider buying a dedicated terminal insertion machine and forget about odd-form placement.
Hope this has been helpful
Stephen Thornton
Engineering Manager Tytronics
12 Circuit Drive Hendon SA 5014