From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Hinners Hans Civ WRALC/LYPME
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 5:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Laminate condition

Hi Barry,

Let me show the pic to a couple of people tomorrow.

It looks like a flux residue either mere surface contamination or the byproduct of a chemical reaction - oxidation.  It isn't concentrated around the solder and the screws have halos around them.

What have you tried to clean it with and how? - soak, agitation, scrubbing . . .
Do you have any characterization capability? - Chromatograph, FTIR . . .

IPC-A-610 Rev C Section 7.3 states that a white residue on the PWB surface is a defect for all three classes.

Hans

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hans M. Hinners
Materials (Process & Manufacturing) Engineer
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center
Avionics Production Division
Manufacturing Branch
380 Second Street, Suite 104
Building: 640, Mail Stop: LYPME
Robins AFB, GA 31098-1638
Voice: (912) 926 - 1970 Fax: (912) 926 - 7164
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.robins.af.mil