Hi Techies,

Picking-up on a Technet string which talks about VOCs, I thought it appropriate to post the following for consideration.

When talking VOCs, it is really important to respect the way in which rules are interpreted in our respective countries. In the USA you have a list of solvents that enjoy "exempt" status from VOC legislation. As I understand it, this means that you can avoid paying tax if you use "exempt" solvents.

Again, as Brian Ellis stated, unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon which side of the tracks you are on) in Europe a VOC is any organic (carbon based) material having a vapour pressure above 0.01kPa. It is a mandate in Europe (EC Directive) to reduce VOC emissions but we have no policemen so it is largely ignored by all except the large multi-nationals who are ISO14000 qualified. Frankly I seriously wonder how many there are out there who even understand the difference including the interpretation of the directive.

I do not seek comments on the rights and wrongs of each approach, only to state the different ways in which legislation is being imposed.

I can say with absolute certainty that VOC exempt solvents such as nButylacetate may be OK in the USA but NOT here in Europe - it is a VOC PERIOD!
Even whisky and bourbon, vodka and gin are VOCs and I say "NO TO PROHIBITION!"

Regards,
Graham Naisbitt

WEB: http://www.concoat.co.uk

CONCOAT Ltd
Alasan House, Albany Park
CAMBERLEY GU15 2PL UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1276 691100  Fax: +44 (0) 1276 691227