TECHNET Archives

December 1999

From:
"West, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:59:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

I was looking through the IPC book and I may be overlooking this, but is
there a requirement that says
you must use a J-hook technique when soldering two discrete wires together
or soldering a discrete wire
to a potentiometer lead?  I believe that creating a good mechanical
connection is priority #1 and then
solder the joint.  But, is it ok to just lay the two wire ends on top of
each other and solder the joint and same
with the potentiometer, is it ok to lay the discrete wire on the
potentiometers lead and then solder the joint.
 If anyone can give me some pro's and con's to both techniques, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Jim