TECHNET Archives

December 1999

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 10:39:17 +0100
Timothy

Thanks for the info. Firstly, I would say a well-cured solder mask would have a
BETTER punch-through resistance than laminate, because it is homogeneous.
Secondly, are the figures you quote for the products at around the glass
transition temperature, at which the electrical characteristics of the resins
run down a very steep hill? IMHO, even at room temp, putting enormous voltage
gradients onto epoxy resins is hazardous. Nearly all epoxies contain some sodium
chloride (resulting from the prepolymerisation reaction between the
epichlorohydrin and the sodium hydroxide, to release the epoxy group for
cross-linking). Applying large voltage gradients will dissociate these molecules
and cause the ions to migrate slowly through the resin matrix, especially with
absorbed humidity present. Removing the excitation will tend to cause
re-association but often on a time scale of hours or even days. I have observed
this phenomenon with FR-4 with voltage gradients as low as 100 V/mm although
not, of course, to a dangerous level. Once you have free ions beetling around,
the problem may become unpredictable. To restrict these to a minimum, it
requires a good resin with a minimum of dissociable molecules (may not be the
cheapest) and one which is cured into the largest molecules, to restrict
physically the mobility of the ions. I maintain however what I said before that
you should never allow the test conditions to approach the Tg by anything closer
than about 30°C if you are electrically stressing the resin. Incidentally,
increasing the temperature of the resin will increase the ion mobility linearly
up to approaching Tg and, above Tg, there is little restriction to ion mobility.

I don't claim to be an expert on resin science, although I have some knowledge,
gained partially from work which was conducted by Prof Kausch (Department of
Polymers of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne) umpteen years
ago. One of his students did his dissertation on the electrical characteristics
of epoxies and some other polymers, I think about 1989, and this kind of
phenomenon, using mainly commercial FR-4s. Only linear polymers, of those tried,
were exempt from ion migration phenomena. As I supplied some of the
instrumentation he used for low voltage insulation resistance, I was closely
involved with the project and was named as one of the adjudicating experts. Prof
Kausch (and his assistant Dr Buégelin) said that the dissertation was one of
best he had seen in all his career as an academic because it revealed some new
phenomena which were not in the literature, as well as being well researched.
Unfortunately, the student in question did not continue in this field of work
after his graduation with honours, at which he also received a special prize.
Since then, I've always looked on much of the specification of thermosetting
resins with a pinch of dissociable sodium chloride taken out of the resins. We
still have much to learn about commercial laminates in this field.

Best regards

Brian