TECHNET Archives

November 1999

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:33:27 +0200
Hi!

SIR is Surface Insulation Resistance which is a function, as the name
implies, of the surface quality of the insulation. There is no attempt
to provoke a failure mechanism, just to measure how good, or bad, the
electrical insulation quality is. It is an extremely important parameter
with Hi-Z circuits. It is measured at a low voltage applied for a
rigidly fixed period (often 30 secs) before the resistance value is
noted or recorded. The time interval is critical. At no other time is a
voltage applied.

ECM is electrochemical migration. It is often determined in a similar
way to SIR, but with a constant bias voltage applied - often quite high
- between the tests. The idea is to provoke migration which will
manifest itself as a lowering of resistance. Many so-called SIR specs
are not SIR at all but ECM tests. Note that the bias voltage may or may
not be the same value or polarity as the test voltage. If the value or
polarity is different, then the time from applying the test voltage to
the resistance value recording is critical. Many test instruments apply
the test voltage to all of a number of points simultaneously, but then
measure the values sequentially, giving different intervals, increasing
with each test points: the results are therefore not comparable.

It is quite normal for SIR to drop initially and then rise again after a
few hours. as the humidity stabilises within the laminate. You can
safely ignore the period before the minimum, provided it does occur
within a few hours. An important point is to jack the temperature up in
the test chamber and keep it at the test value for a couple of hours
before you start to jack up the humidity. If you put cold circuits into
a humid chamber or you allow the humidity to increase faster than the
temperature, then you may get condensation on the test coupons. If the
SIR drops after a few hours, you are in DEEP trouble, man!

Brian