TECHNET Archives

November 1999

From:
"Bates, Barry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:45:32 -0000
IPC gurus.

First:
Someone here suggested that the IPC might like to consider issuing a
procedure for:-
        "The Long Term Storage and Subsequent Processing of Electronic
Components and Sub-Assemblies".
The document  IPC-SM-786A  "Procedures for Characterising and Handling of
Moisture/Reflow Sensitive ICs" goes  part way to answering this question.

Obsolescence is now a constant re-design burden on military equipment
suppliers who are desperately endeavouring to support their products over a
15 to 20 year period. Lifetime buys and long term storage under controlled
conditions is one possible answer to the problem   -   but at what cost in
money, space, labour resource, quality control measures, etc?
How are other areas of this business (medical appliances;  comms base
stations;  measurement and control systems;  etc) planning to support their
product for such long periods?

Additionally, we have yet to feel the weight of the mill stone that the
current move towards the use of COTS (commercial off the shelf) equipment
may be bequeathing to this industry over the next 20 years.

I think that Ingemar's response is an excellent foundation.

Incidentally, there has also been a hot, open ended debate on the cousin of
Technet:-

Second:
It would be most useful to have the entries in the Subject field,  "RE: [TN]
............................." selected.
This would ease both the speed reading of a full 'Inbox' of mail and also
the process of sorting by subject  in the Outlook s/w 'Favourites'  file.
Is it therefore possible to recommend the following:-
        be explicit and un-ambiguous
        be short
        use recognised key words (is there a defined list somewhere that I
have missed?)
        be consistent throughout the thread
The subject reference for Richards e-mail is an excellent example of how to
do it.
Sorry to be picky, but I think it does help.

Thanks,
These are my opinions, not my company's.
Barry Bates