TECHNET Archives

November 1999

From:
Gary Camac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:42:25 -0600
Hi Ho Steverino,

Whoops - dating myself.  Well you certainly got some good advice on this one Steve.  I
have been using some formulas I gleaned from a MPM Corp. Technical White Paper that was
written for presentation at the SMI '96 Conference.  Based on their data, I created an
Excel wooksheet that I can plug in the particulars - turn the crank - and out come the
aperture size.  There is a fudge factor in the Required Print Area calculation,  MPM
calls it an inspection factor,  that you can play around with to adjust the size of the
fillet.

I have found that leads 0.032" diameter or bigger can rob some of the volume from the
fillet.  This happens because the lead pushes out the paste that is printed into the
hole.  This solder will often end up reflowed on the end of the lead, rather than at
the fillet.

Good Luck

Gary Camac