DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:39:22 -0700
I have had some experience with chip caps cracking on FR-4.  This is what we had
determined.  This issue began showing up during a large production run when we
switched the manufacturing to a turn key in another country.  The pcb's were being
designed with traces going in between the pins of larger chip caps.  the solder mask
was applied thicker then anyone would consider acceptable and with the build up of
traces and mask a high center was created in between the 2 pads of the chip caps.
The boards were wave soldered and the components experienced a very high theremal
shock, then when the wet solder dried it would pull the caps closer to the board and
crack!  To verify the hypothysis we updated a board to remove traces between some
caps leaving others.  We then had the production house build up bare boards and
assemble them.  the build up without traces did just fine, the build up with traces
cracked!  (not in every case every time)  I also want to mention that the caps with
the problems were only very thin, very long like 1812's.  On smaller thicker chips
like 0805's this wasn't an issue.

As crazy as the story sounds  (I hope this will help)