LEADFREE Archives

November 1999

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Suraski - AIM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:59:50 -0500
Dear Lee (and all),

I would like to comment on the TCLP data presented by my colleague, Karl
Seelig.

AIM did have CASTIN (Sn/Ag/Cu/Sb) bar, paste, and a crushed PCB that was
assembled with the solder tested to TCLP test method 1311/6010.  In
addition, Sn/Cu and Sn/Ag alloys also were tested to these standards.  You
are correct in that none of these tests demonstrated a failure.  This
testing was performed by Environmental Science Services (ESS) Labs in
Cranston, RI.  These test results are available for review at your request.

The above TCLP testing was performed to Federal standards.  RCRA has
determined that the following metals must be tested for by TCLP: Arsenic,
Barium, Cadmium, Chromium, Lead, Mercury, Selenium, and Silver.  Antimony
has not been determined as an element that must be tested for by TCLP.  A
complete listing of the elements that fall under TCLP may be found at
www.frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi .

It is interesting to note that the report refers to drinking water
standards.  Drinking water has justifiably been assigned the most stringent
standards of all classes of water.  The standards are so strict, in fact,
that if one was to run drinking water directly out of the tap through a
drain and collect it for testing, it is likely that the water would fail to
meet applicable standards. Drinking water and effluent wastewater have
nothing to do with each other, as far as acceptable metallic levels are
concerned.  Wastewater from soldering operations is passed through waste
streams to solid landfills, not through drinking water systems, and thus in
judged by a different standard.

I hope that this is helpful and I look forward to the lively debate that may
ensue!

David Suraski
AIM