TECHNET Archives

October 1999

From:
Paul Klasek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:01:33 +1000
Ok, let's keep it technical, just to kill it WITHOUT lingering feelings
(Steve thinking about Steve what Paul sometimes thinks about Paul[too
direct]); carbon filters saturation (water or air) is an interesting
subject.
Did any of you actually validated the process from step 1 to (correct or
incorrect [wonder where you chuck your HEPA filters!]) disposal ? Swallowed
any carbon pills when feeling bad ?
Because the horrible expense (with me being in clean air business) in one
instance (no names) did get me seriously ticked off, same as (no name) one
vocal chap here :
My carbon story (hit delete butt if not interested):

Some decade ago got ourselves a pace (good [not top] product = allowed to
name)three stage filter (pre,HEPA,C) .
By hunting subsequent leaks through relentless check of sealing tapes in
position ; and validating volatile (and non)contents when new, old , in
inlet, and outlet, and various combination, I did worked out optimal use of
(expensive) HEPA filter and (more expensive still) C filter .
Conclusion being (in after reflow air) the prefilters some 5-10x to 1 HEPA ;
than 3-5 HEPA's to 1 C, (IF!!!) all subsequently contaminating leaks were
avoided .
Mind you (you be the judge of design ethics)there is not a very particular
care (in design) to prevent leaks on edges,
did place test collector strips (evenly) ; leaks from pre to HEPA did prove
to be costly,
slotting HEPA into the right sealing position is a very exacting chore to
prevent damage of seal tape (therefore fill C in no time). Life of correctly
handled (sealed)C proved sufficiently functional UNTIL it's flow is
restricted .

Couple years ago the upgrade came, so being my usual extreme, went for this
super teuton all bells and...;
it actually did sucked 1 foot dia flexi tube flat (had to put rigid on it) .
Why did I get it ?
It does have a C filter "saturation" (alleged) meter on (splendid green led
segments coming up ; like a tacho ;
hitting last red ones ; than 100dB piezo gives you a jolt) .
I though, great, teutonic folks got us on the moon , must be at LEAST
working on saturation suction via pressure sensors,
if not gas spectrography (priced for later).
Spend the corporate hard currency on it (euro is bit limping); plugged in,
happy as cucumber for month .
THAN the above mentioned piezo shuttered my smug confidence !
That piezo (reset) does have a very special security key .
So in cheers from galleries I sprinted (almost) to my new pride and joy and
hit the red button to silence that damn thing.
Than found the key (which even VP does not have) and reset it .
Than in total (and very much informed, after previous research with gas
composition and velocity meters of most kinds disbelief i started to dig why
the hell is the machine telling me (mere mortal of dubious origin)in such an
direct manner to chuck my $800 (or so) carbon monoblock through the window .

The cute answer emerged in no time ; it was sitting on A TIMER !!!.
I could run Antarctic pollen free jet stream with few penguin gas
contaminations and that clever .... : would still piezo on me !
If that is not deception I'm ........(your choice) ; i now very few folks
who will deliberately go against direct manufacturers recommendations
(keeping on grudgingly replacing C's [with little idea why]).
What I think about that particular maker (no name) i (Jack's reading this)
can not say ;
especially because i know this is done with full knowledge of
(profitable)implications .
Bit my tongue that time ; handed the key to the operator to twist it in as
often as he feels like ;
and went back to my old saturation method :
when with new HEPA still choked = C filter is full .

So the "informed" decisions for next time is same as before, to all Steves :
trust no one, test yourself, if you can not Rockwell every bolt's temper,
expect the worst .
In the end I'd agree with all Steves again ; the poor buyer 's got a little
chance to have Roentgen vision ;
and the poor sales fellow does mostly just that (sales) .
Call it a draw fellows , the guilty party sits much higher (as usual) .
Would i prefer to read stories like this (with or without names or $) ?
Yes .

There is a distinction even if unbiased party makes a mistake ;
as to even if biased party is correct .
The consensus of this Forum Technum is quite clear as who can be mistaken
and who can not,
nobody here would be naive enough to rely on one story alone (hope)

Cheers

Paul Klasek

PS
if anybody feels for a continuum on square miles absorptions in cubic inches
of C filters, etc. ;
lets take it off line ,
sorry Ron,Richard , agree with your point as well
Still , there's no such thing as black or white (nothing or all) "right" .